These instructions are still far from complete. Hopefully this is enough to get you started...
The program requires a web server (obviously), a working Perl installation, and these Perl modules:
Your Perl installation might already have these, if not they are easily installed from CPAN on Unix
or PPM on Windows.
Here's a step-by-step list of what I had to do to get this working on our web server:
- Make sure your web server is functioning correctly
- Install ActiveState ActivePerl if you don't already have it
- Install HTML::Template using PPM.
- Click Start, Programs, ActiveState ActivePerl 5.6, Perl Package Manager
- The type "install HTML-Template" (without quotes)
- Create a directory for your data, such as
- Be sure your Web User can write to the data directory
- Create a web accessable directory for Fits, such as
- Extract fits to this directory
- Copy the fits data from fits/data to your data directory
- copy everything in the data directory and any subdirectories
- Rename newpasswd.xml to passwd.xml
- this is done to prevent accidentally overwriting a file
- Create a directory for the users' sites, such as
- Make sure files in the fits/cgi-bin directory are executable
- Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
- Double-click Administrative Tools
- Double-click Computer Management
- Double-click Services and Applications
- Double-click Internet Information Services
- Double-click Default Web Site
- Double-click fits
- Right-click cgi-bin and click Properties
- Beside Execute Permissions choose Scripts and Executables
- Click OK to close this window
- Make sure user directories are writable by the Web User
- Still in Computer Management from the step above
- Right-click the Staff folder under Default Web Site
- Click Properties
- Check the box beside Write in the middle of the window
- Click OK, then close the Computer Manager window
- Edit cgi-bin/edit.pl and set the correct directory paths and URL's.
- Use Notepad or another plain text editor to change this file
- example $data_dir is 'C:/Inetpub/data/fits'
- Note the slashes are forward and there is no slash at the end
- Log in as admin and create a test user.
- Go to http://www.yourserver.com/fits and you should see the login page
- The Username is admin and the password is fits
- Let me know what doesn't work for you :-)